Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Leaving our heart in San Francisco (and Portland and Seattle....)

Leaving on a Jetplane

Well, today's the day. The start of the Pacific Coast Adventure tour to Seattle, Portland, San Francisco and points in between. Our good friends from Grove, Oklahoma, The Grand Travelers are joining us on this 9-day odyssey. I say "us" but I'm not actually going. Marsha will be leading the Travel Masters group and I remain behind lending support (and a little bit of envy) to the group while they're away enjoying the Pacific Northwest. 

Early to bed...too early to rise

I got little sleep last night. At around midnight I kept waking every hour worrying that I would oversleep. I didn't. Finally got up at 4 am and got ready. Fed the kittens, loaded bags in the SUV, departed the house just about on time and made our way to the departure location, arriving a minute or two after 6 am. Several of the group were already there (no surprise) as was the motor coach (pleasant surprise) ready to transfer us to Tulsa International Airport for our 9:30 am flight to Seattle (with a stopover in Denver). Doors opened and the group came on in to doughnuts and coffee, Breakfast of Champions. 

Luggage? Checked. Boarding pass? Check. Say, "See ya" to Frank? Uh oh!

The drive to the airport was probably uneventful. I wouldn't know because I went on ahead. My job for this morning was to locate the elevators and the United ticket counter, finding the quickest and most reliable way there once the group arrived. The motor coach pulled in to the Arrival terminal to unload the group. I say Arrival terminal because motor coaches can't fit under the walkways/bridges from the parking lot to the departure terminal ticket counters at Tulsa International. An inconvenience but we've become accustomed to it. Luggage in hand we made our way from the coach, through the walkway to the waiting escalator and elevator. Some took the quicker way down, using the escalator which many of the group took the less cumbersome elevator.  
Checking in at the United Airlines counter went about as smoothly as it ever has. The United ticket agents were very helpful in getting us all checked in and on our way. No snags, no issues, just 34 anxious and ready travelers wanting to get to the gate. Speaking of heading to the gate, there's always that one obstacle in the way before reaching the gate. No, it's not the rest rooms, although they are a very important part of any travel venture. The TSA Security Checkpoint. Once again, a very smooth transition through security. So smooth in fact that as the last of the Travel Masters made it though security, so did Marsha. So, here I am standing behind the barrier unable to proceed through since I don't have a boarding pass (did I say I'm not going on the trip?) waiting and hoping that Marsha would realize I'm not there so we could say our fond farewells and happy journeys and maybe share a hug and a kiss. No such luck. I get an "I love you" holler from across the great divide between the secure passage to the gates and the non-secure waiting area. So I did the next best thing. The Grand Travelers' group leader, Susie was just about to enter the checkpoint when I stopped her and asked her to give this to Marsha. A hug from me! At that point I left the airport and made my way to my vehicle to return to work. I did get a photo-kiss from Marsha in the form of a text message. I guess it'll do (sigh).
So, if you happen to see Marsha in Seattle, Portland, San Francisco or any of the points in between be sure and tell her, "You owe Frank....big time!" I'm sure it'll get a laugh, or at least a chuckle out of her, but duck just in case.  Love you, Babe and have a good, no make that, great time on the Pacific Coast Adventure!

There will be more posts along with some photographic evidence of the tour in the days to come. So keep watching...and reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment